Experimental Methods & Design Course Content
This is a sample timetable. It may vary as we are dependent on external partners.
- Introduction to Ethics, University of Auckland (UoA) Research Office
- Functionality and limitations of the CT Scanner, Micro CT facility at ABI
- Functionality and limitations of MRI and Ultrasound, UoA Faculty of Medicine & Health
Experimental Design: What are we dealing with?
- What are some characteristics of Good Experimental Design?
- What is perhaps the simplest Experimental Design?
- What are its assumptions?
Amongst topics discussed students will be introduced to:
- The correct (Random-Effects) method of averaging regression lines (of ANY analytical form)
- R-based simulation of drawing samples from the Uniform Distribution
Pitch your Research to an Expert
- Students will meet with Dr Catherine Mohr and present their research and get feedback and advice.
- Full day visiting the Anatomy and Microscopy Lab
- Faculty of Medicine & Health (UoA) visiting Professor Simon Malpas in his research Laboratory to see what work is done in the development of novel implantable devices for clinical and research use.
- Intro to Cell and Molecular Biology Bone/Joint Research Group
- Cell and Molecular Biology Bone/Joint Research Group continued: The day is designed as a hands on workshop where students are placed in a Laboratory environment.